Meg’s Cooking Corner

Friday, April 30, 2010

Oatmeal Muffins

These simple muffins are great because this batter is easy to change up and they are a great anytime snack. This recipe comes from my friend Kim. I especially love this recipe because it converts to gluten-free nicely. After discovering some food allergies, my son has been on a gluten-free (GF) diet for three months now. For a food lover, it has been a difficult change in our home. Thankfully, there are many terrific gluten-free products and websites out there now. I will slowly be going through my recipes and include gluten-free versions with them. Find this and more recipes at Grocery Cart Challenge.


Oatmeal Muffins

1 cup quick oats (to be GF, use certified GF oats)
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour (to be GF, use 1 cup Pamela's GF flour blend)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Other variations: try substituting the chocolate chips for blueberries or raspberries and toss in a handful of wheat germ

Mix all ingredients and spoon into greased muffin tins. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

2 comments:

Rainy Day Farm said...

I have been craving muffins, this is perfect. I am going to try and make these for breakfast tomorrow.

Samantha said...

These look so yummy! I'm always looking for new muffin recipes and these are going right in my to-try file =)