Meg’s Cooking Corner

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Breakfast favorites

With Easter coming up this weekend, here are a couple of fun recipes that would be perfect for that Easter brunch or an family breakfast anytime. Find more Easter recipes at Tempt my Tummy Tues,Tues at the Table, and Tasty Tuesday.

A couple years ago I was preparing the menu for a woman's brunch and we wanted to serve crepes, fresh fruit and breakfast casserole. I wasn't happy with the recipe I was using then, so I scoured the Internet for recipes and tested three different versions. This recipe from Cooks.com was the one my family loved the best. The hot sausage is the secret!




Sausage Breakfast Casserole

2 pounds pork sausage (1 hot, 1 mild)
3 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
9 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 small bag hash browns

Cook sausage over medium heat until done, stirring to crumble. Drain well and set aside. In same skillet, brown hash browns over medium heat. Combine sausage, hash browns and remaining ingredients, mixing well. Pour into a greased 13x9 baking pan. Refrigerate covered, overnight. Bake at 350 for one hour. Makes 8-10 servings.

Monkey Bread is a fun breakfast for those special mornings. I found this recipe in an church cookbook and my boys love it. It was perfect for Christmas as I could throw it together late Christmas Eve and it was ready to bake in the morning. I enjoy making homemade cinnamon rolls, but this is a great alternative when you are busy. I hope everyone has a lovely Easter as we focus on our Savior Jesus Christ.



Monkey Bread

16 frozen roll dough balls (Rhodes-regular size)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 small pkg cook-and-serve (not instant) butterscotch pudding
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
Whipped cream cheese frosting (optional but a must for my family!)

Grease a Bundt pan. Place frozen dough balls evenly around the inside of the pan. Combine the melted butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, dry butterscotch pudding mix (and nuts if want) together. Mixture will be a little thick. Pour or spoon over the frozen dough balls. Place in cold oven and forget about it overnight (about 8 hours). It is ready to bake when the rolls have risen to the top of the pan or a bit above the top. Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let sit for a few minutes. Put a plate over the Bundt pan and very carefully (the goo is hot) and quickly, turn it upside down onto the plate. Spread cream cheese frosting over top while still hot. Tear the rolls apart and enjoy. Makes 8 servings.










4 comments:

Mary J said...

Mmmmm. I need a better breakfast casserole recipe, too. This one looks good. Thanks for sharing. Hope your kids are feeling better!

Janet said...

The breakfast casserole recipe brings back memories. My mom used to make that a lot when I was a kid. I am going to have to give Money Bread a try.

Rainy Day Farm said...

I am so coming to your house this weekend! Yummy!

Carol said...

I'll have to try the breakfast dish sometime - maybe for Xmas Brunch 2010!But I'll have to double it! And the Monkey Bread looks divine!

Love Ya, Mom