Meg’s Cooking Corner

Monday, December 21, 2009

Soft Ginger Cookies

Each year my boys and husband wait anxiously for the Christmas cookies to be made. Sugar cookies, almond roca toffee, chocolate peppermint cookies, fudge, spritz cookies, chocolate peanut butter balls, snowball cookies, truffles, my oh my! I love to try out new cookie recipes each Christmas season, but I always make my favorite, spicy ginger cookies. I love these ginger cookies because they are soft and chewy and have a delicious flavor. This recipe comes from my mom and Christmas wouldn't be complete without them! We hope you enjoy this Christmas season of remembering Christ's birth. Find more great Christmas recipes at Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, and Tasty Tuesday.


Soft Ginger Cookies

2 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup white shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tbsp sugar

Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds to soften. Gradually add the 1 cup sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg and molasses, beating well. Stir dry ingredients into beaten mixture. Shape 1 Tbsp dough into balls. Roll in the 2 Tbsp sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes until light brown and puffy. Let cool for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Cool and enjoy!



3 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for the recipe and linking to TMTT. May you have a blessed Christmas.

SnoWhite said...

We LOVE soft ginger cookies!! I tried ours with whole wheat this year, and they turned out wonderfully.

Merry Christmas!

Maria said...

Those look so yummy! I am going to have to try those. I don't like the hard ones. I have been looking for soft ones forever!
I sure had fun today. Addison wants to come back next week!I think she had fun.