Meg’s Cooking Corner

Friday, May 29, 2009

Time to Barbecue!

Summer weather doesn't usually arrive till June where I live, so we are so happy this week to finally have perfect weather. Of course that means it's time to dust off the barbecue and put my husband to work! Here are a couple of our favorite marinades. Find more recipes at the Grocery Cart Challenge, and at Tasty Tuesday and Tempt my Tummy Tuesday.


I got this great steak marinade from my friend Stephanie a few years back. It's so easy to throw together and makes a great freezer meal. For freezer meal: just pour the marinade over your steaks in a freezer ziplock bag and freeze. Then pull it out 24 hours before you want to serve it and let it marinate while it defrosts in your fridge. Unfortunately, my boys were so hungry last time we had this that I forgot to take a picture!

Steak Marinade

1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced ginger (use less if using fresh ginger)
1 tsp monterey steak salt (or other grilling salt)

Combine all marinade ingredients. Remove fat from steaks. Flank the steaks (diagonal cuts 1 inch deep) and put into a ziploc bag and pour marinade over top. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Grill until done to your liking.


This great chicken marinade is from The Sisters Cafe. This chicken is great in many dishes or by itself. I usually double the recipe and freeze the extras to use in other dishes later. (I'll post their fantastic pesto pizza soon that uses this chicken in it).

Lemon and Garlic Grilled Chicken
Juice of 1 lemon (approx 3 Tbsp)
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 pound chicken breasts (I use tenderloins if I'm not grilling it, otherwise I cut thick chicken breasts into smaller pieces)

Combine all marinade ingredients. Place chicken in a ziplock bag and pour marinade over chicken. Seal bag and place in fridge overnight. Grill (or cook in frying pan). Serve with sides of your choice or cut into bite-sized pieces and add to desired recipe.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh I will have to try the steak one this week. I am always on the look out for a good steak marinade!

MaRiN said...

Awesome, and just in time for summer grilling- thanks!