Meg’s Cooking Corner

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Focaccia Bread and Buttermilk Cornbread

I'm sure I've mentioned before how much I love fresh, homemade bread. I don't always have time to make my favorite yeast rolls and breads in time for dinner, so I often rely on quicker breads. (BTW, I realize I haven't posted any of my roll recipes yet. It's hard to share those special roll recipes, but I'll work on it!!)

This Focaccia Bread recipe is a great one from the blog Finding Joy in my Kitchen. Check it out for step by step pictures. It takes an hour for the two rising steps, and 30 minutes to cook, so make sure you plan ahead. Don't have that much time? Try the cornbread or my already posted quick Amish Biscuits.

I have tested many cornbread recipes through the years, and this recipe is a winner. The secret: buttermilk! If you haven't used buttermilk before, see my tips on it here. I'm not sure where I originally saw the recipe, but since then I have seen it several places where the only variation is using either 1 or 2 eggs. I prefer it with one egg, but you can decide what you like!


No-Knead Focaccia Bread
(cut ingredients in half to make an 8x8 pan)

3 1/4 cup flour
1 envelope Rapid Rise yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp)
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 2/3 cup very warm water (120-130 degrees F)
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
2 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese

Mix flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and water. Stir until well mixed. Spread the dough into a greased 13x9 pan. Cover and let dough rise until doubled (about 30 minutes). Drizzle 1-2 Tbsp olive oil over the top of the raised bread. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke multiple holes in the dough to create an uneven surface. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and herbs over the top. May sprinkle additional salt on top, if desired. Let bread rise, covered, for an additional 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 30-35 minutes until lightly browned.

Buttermilk Cornbread

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1-2 eggs (I use one)
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

Melt butter. Stir in sugar and egg(s) and beat well. Combine buttermilk and baking soda then stir into butter mixture. Add cornmeal, flour and salt. Stir until well mixed. Bake in greased 8x8 pan at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

1 comment:

Snow White said...

fun! thanks for the link. I'm so glad you've enjoyed the bread.

by the way, your lemon-rhubarb sweet treats look mighty tasty!