Meg’s Cooking Corner

Friday, April 3, 2009

Lime Cilantro Salad & Dressing

Ah, Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing. Where have you been all my life? With Easter fast approaching and my house finally on the market, I am ready to enjoy some lighter spring dishes. The sun even broke through the cloudy sky today, making everything right in my world. This salad dressing makes any green salad right, it would also be great to dip veggies in. I created the salad by combining a couple my friend Christine sent me. If you add chicken it would make a great meal paired with rolls. My Kitchen Cafe gets credit for the fantastic salad dressing. Now if you'll excuse me, I think there is leftover salad in the fridge calling me... Head over to the Grocery Cart Challenge to find more recipes today.


Lime Cilantro Dressing

3 fresh tomatillos, quartered
1 pkg dry Ranch buttermilk dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic, crushed
juice of 1 lime (about 3 Tbsp)

Peel the papery husks off the tomatillos and wash off the sticky residue. Combine with the other ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

Fiesta Salad (I cut recipe in 1/2 for my family)

1 head green leaf lettuce, rinsed and torn
1 head red leaf lettuce, rinsed and torn
1 fresh tomato, chopped
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 avocado, chopped
couple handfuls of cilantro
1 cup of shredded cheddar or white mexican cheese
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and chopped (optional)
Crumbled tortilla chips

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Add the cheese and tortilla chips last. Serve with Lime Cilantro dressing.

3 comments:

Rainy Day Farm said...

That sounds so yummy, I am going to have to try it. It was fun chatting the other day!

Gramma Carol said...

THis looks and sounds great! HMMMM, maybe Easter dinner or dip withh veggies! Great idea!!! Would really be good at our next Mexican Family Dinner! Okay! Llove ya, Mom

Gramma Carol said...

Just a followup: I made this as a dip for Easter Saturday and it was fantastic! I am still enjoying what is left - keeps quite a while, thank goodness! Thanks again!