Meg’s Cooking Corner

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cinco de Mayo Flautas

Hola! Okay, so I'm a week early, but let's plan ahead for celebrating Cinco de Mayo! I love any excuse to throw a mexican fiesta. This recipe for Flautas (little flutes) comes from a mexican cookbook of my mom's. I try to stay away from fried foods but this is one I embrace with open arms. It is easy to dress up by serving on shredded lettuce and add your favorite guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and any other toppings you adore.

Other menu ideas: Fiesta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Dressing, Spanish Rice, Carnitas (use in chimichangas, soft tacos, or as a salad). For dessert serve vanilla ice cream drizzled with caramel and topped with a churro or cut a tortilla in quarters, spread with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, fry in oil and serve with ice cream.

Find more fabulous mexican recipes today at Life As Mom. Find more at Tasty Tuesday and Tempt my Tummy Tuesday.


Chicken Flautas

2 chicken breasts

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1 cup shredded mexican cheese blend

1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies

16 (8 inch) flour tortillas

Place chicken breasts in a large saucepan. Add about 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Drain water and cool. Use two forks to pull chicken into long, thin shreds. In a bowl, mix chicken with cheese, green chilies, and cumin. Set mixture aside.

Stack tortillas tightly in foil. Heat in a 350 oven for 10 minutes to soften. Remove half the tortillas at a time, keeping others warm in oven. (Sometimes I skip this step if I am in a hurry or my tortillas are already very soft). For each flauta, overlap two softened tortillas by about half. Spoon about 1/3 cup of chicken mixture lengthwise down center of tortillas. Roll up tightly. Secure with toothpicks. (I also make a few smaller flautas for my boys by using 1 instead of 2 tortillas).

In a heavy skillet, heat about 1/2 inch of oil to 365. Fry rolled up tortillas, 2-3 at a time, for 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in 300 oven. Remove toothpicks. Serve flautas on shredded lettuce and with sour cream, salsa and guacamole.

9 comments:

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

I am so glad you reminded me of Cinco de Mayo. I didn't even think about it when I posted Mexican for Tasty Tuesday. These look great!! :)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Looks good. I will enjoy making and EATING these.

FishMama said...

These look great! Love your festive photo, too. We have the same dishes. ;)

newlyweds said...

Oh my, can I come over for dinner?? This looks so good!

Karen said...

These sound delicious!

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Love flautas. Love Mexican. Thanks for this recipe. My Tasty Tuesday is up too.

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Congratulations! You won the book I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti. I don't see an email for you anywhere. Please contact me with your name and address so the publisher can send it to you directly.

Emily @ Marvelous Recipes said...

Look sooo good! Thanks for sharing.

Rainy Day Farm said...

Yummy looking. I will have to add those to my menu next week. I am salivating already!