Meg’s Cooking Corner

Friday, May 8, 2009

Lemon Bars with Rhubarb Topping

One of my favorite parts of spring is when my rhubarb is ready to cut from the garden. I grew up loving rhubarb, so I am always suprised when people don't know what it is. It looks like red celery and many people think it is a fruit, but it is actually a vegetable that can be traced back to China in 2700 BC.

As rhubarb is very tart, is pairs wonderfully with strawberries. In fact, strawberries and rhubarb are all I have planted in my garden so far. Rhubarb pie, cobbler, jam and muffins are usually what we make with our rhubarb. So when I saw this recipe for lemon bars with a rhubarb topping, I got excited, espcially since I love lemon. This recipe comes from my King Arthur Flour cookbook. Make these bars this week and bring a little spring into your kitchen! Find this recipe and more at Foodie Friday, Made from Scratch and at the Grocery Cart Challenge recipe swap. Also find more rhubarb recipes at Tammy's In-Season Recipe Swap.

TIP: The rhubarb sauce would also be wonderful served warm over vanilla ice cream, or over pancakes, yogurt, pound cake and angel food cake.

Lemon Bars with Rhubarb Topping

Crust:
8 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or pastry flour
2 large eggs

Filling:

8 Tbsp butter, melted
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 Tbsp cornmeal
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (2-3 large lemons)

Rhubarb Sauce:

2 pints strawberries
2 cups diced rhubarb (4-5 medium stalks)
Pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
Few drops of red food coloring (0ptional)

Preheat the oven to 350. To make the crust: in a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream the butter until fluffy. Add the sugar, salt and vanilla and beat well. Stir in the flour and eggs, mixing until well blended. Lightly grease a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan. Press the dough into the pan. Prick the dough all over with a fork. Bake the crust for 8 minutes.

To make the lemon filling: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, eggs, and lemon juice. Spread over the crust. Return it to the oven and bake for an additional 25-28 minutes, until the top is lightly browned on the top and edges.

If you just want lemon bars, cool them completely and dust with confectioners sugar before cutting into squares.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Topping: To make the glaze, rinse the strawberries and rhubarb. Dice about 1 cup of the strawberries. Place the rhubarb, diced strawberries, salt and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a small saucepan. Over low heat, stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil. Add the remaining sugar and the cornstarch dissolved in the water, return the mixture to a boil, then remove it from the heat. Let the mixture cool slightly. Add a few drops of red food coloring, if desired. Dice the remaining berries and mix with the glaze, then spread over the filling.

Rhubarb


11 comments:

Mary J said...

This looks divine. Can't wait to try it. I need to call soon and catch up. Hope good things are happening with the house!

Foley said...

I copied and psted this recipe before I read the entire recipe!! I knew I would want to try this just by the description! Great post..

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great Mother's Day ~ Susan

Gollum said...

That does it--I'm buying rhubarb tomorrow! I can't wait for it to grow (doesn't it take 2 years? Or am I thinking of asparagus? lol). This is a GREAT recipe!!!

Megan said...

Hi, for growing rhubarb they recommend you buy a start and not harvesting any the first year. Luckily while you are waiting for yours to grow you can buy it from the grocery store! It's been very hardy and easy to grow for me. Have fun!

Snow White said...

wow - that looks amazing. I LOVE rhubarb and lemon -- how great to put them together.

Gramma Carol said...

Great recipe! Chris and I both enjoyed our treat! Love you, Mom

Rainy Day Farm said...

That looks yummy. I need to go and get some from my mom so I can make this. I will have to get a start from her so I can grow my own.

Martha A. said...

It looks wonderful! I am going to have to try those!

petitechef said...

UMM YUMMMMMMMMMYYYY This looks delicious! I absolutely love these but have yet to make any! Thanks for the recipe and inspiration! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.