Meg’s Cooking Corner

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Pork Soft Tacos

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I don't have a fun green recipe for you, although there are green avocados in this dish! We are preparing to put our house on the market so I have not had as much time for cooking lately as I would like. After a hard day of remodeling bathrooms, organizing closets, and worst of all, going through the dreaded paper piles, I'm tired! This recipe makes a great weeknight dinner that's interesting and quick to make. I adapted it from a Rachael Ray recipe. My previously posted Mexican Rice and a green salad would be great side dishes to serve with this. Find more recipes at Tasty Tuesday and Tempt my Tummy Tuesday.


Pork Soft Tacos

2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped (divided)
1 pound ground pork
1 Tbsp sweet smoky paprika
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
salt and pepper
eight 6-inch flour tortillas
one 10-ounce pkg frozen corn, thawed (or one 8-oz can corn, drained)
2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
juice of 1 lime (about 1 Tbsp)
shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese
2 avocados, cut into wedges

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add half the onion and cook until softened. Add the pork, paprika and chili powder. Cook and break up the meat until browned and cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

If you want to warm your tortillas, place them in a 300 oven for about five minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the corn, remaining onions, cilantro and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

To serve, top each warm tortilla with cheese, meat, corn salsa and avocado wedges.

6 comments:

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

I've never had pork tacos. Sounds great.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for the recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

The Blossoming Skillet said...

I have a pork loin thawing in my fridge and was wondering what I wanted to do with it. Thanks for the idea. I'm going to stick it in the crock pot with your seasonings tomorrow and use it shredded.

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

I make tacos, but I've never used pork. It sounds great! Thanks for sharing it with us and good luck with your home!
~Kim

Gardner Family said...

Looks yummy...can't wait to try it, when are we coming over? He He!

Grama Carol said...

THis I gotta try! Love your blog - how did you get to be such a good cook? Love ya