Meg’s Cooking Corner

Monday, February 16, 2009

Homemade Pizza Night

My family loves pizza. But with four hungry boys, pizza night is really getting expensive! This is where my bread machine comes to the rescue. It can whip up fresh dough for pizza crusts in a flash. It's easy to personalize the pizzas, we always make one plain pepperoni for the kids, and one "fun" pizza for my husband and me. My bread machine was faithfully mixing pizza dough last weekend when it met a terrible fate. Apparently I placed it too close to the counter edge, and with one energetic mix it toppled over and crashed all over my kitchen floor. Yes, it was a sad, sad day. Hopefully it can be replaced quickly.

Tips: This is a great crust because it uses both white and whole wheat flour and sea salt. If you have never tried sea salt, I recommend it highly. If you have a pizza stone, use it! Preheat it in the oven to get it nice and hot. Sprinkle a little cornmeal on your stone before rolling the dough out on it to prevent sticking. Also, it's worth it to take the time to shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese from the store has a coating on it to avoid clumping that prevents it from melting as nice as cheese you shred yourself. I'll also include the recipe for one kind of pizza we enjoy, a BBQ chicken pizza.

Find this recipe and others at Tasty Tuesday, Tempt my Tummy Tuesday, and Kitchen Tip Tuesday. Enjoy!

Bread Machine Pizza Dough

1 1/3 cups water (80-90 degrees F)
1 tsp honey
2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 1/4 cups bread flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/4 tsp yeast (instant or bread machine yeast)

Place ingredients in order listed in bread machine pan. Select dough cycle and press start. Bread machine times will vary, mine takes about 1 1/2 hours. When cycle is complete, roll out dough on pizza pans. Will make enough for two crusts.

BBQ Chicken Pizza

1/2 cup (approx.) favorite barbecue sauce
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (sometimes I caramelize it first)
1 large chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 1/2 -2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Preheat oven and pizza stone at 400. Sprinkle pizza stone with cornmeal. Roll dough out on stone. Spread barbecue sauce over dough. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over sauce. Arrange onion slices and chicken over cheese and then top with remaining cheese. Bake 15-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown. (Watch oven, if using cookie sheet, it may be a shorter time). Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and slice into wedges.

7 comments:

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

The BBQ pizza looks wonderful. I've been wanting to make one! I do have a bread machine, but I never use it. I've had bad experiences with bread. I might give it a try for pizza dough. Thanks so much for joining Tasty Tuesday with such a great post!
-Kim

Gardner Family said...

This looks so good. I am going to have to try it. I don't have my bread maker anymore, so I will use me kitchen-aid.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Fun pizza. Thanks.

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

Wow! Your pizza looks delicious!

Alisa@Foodista said...

Really Delicious!

Justine said...

I think we have the pizza stone- pampered chef?

Megan said...

Yes, it is from pampered chef, I love their stuff!