Meg’s Cooking Corner

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Cooking with Fall Apples

Aah, the first crisp apples of Fall. They are the only thing that help me get over losing the summer fruits. Fall is my favorite time to bake. Apples and cinnamon and pumpkin, oh my! And yes, I did notice that I am posting more dessert recipes than main dish recipes. I just can't help it. I get excited every time I have an excuse to make a dessert whereas I have to do main dishes every day. The boys picked our apple tree clean of apples last week so we were excited to use them in some recipes.

This recipe for apple dumplings is from The Pioneer Woman website. This is hands down my favorite cooking site. She is so hilarious and shows descriptive step by step pictures of making the recipes. You will probably never visit my cooking blog again after seeing hers, but it's so fun I still need to share it with you! We made these dumplings last week and were in heaven. I cut the recipe in half and baked it in a 9x9 pan instead. Later I wished I had made the whole recipe because I loved them so much. I didn't have any leftovers to hide and eat after the kids went to bed. Oh well, next time, because I will be making these again soon!

Apple Dumplings

2 Granny Smith apples
2 cans crescent rolls
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla
cinnamon
1 small can Mountain Dew

Peel, core and cut apples into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan. Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top. Bask in the praise from your family and friends!

No comments: