Meg’s Cooking Corner

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dutch Oven Delights

I got a dutch oven for my birthday and I am all pumped up to use it! I love my slow cooker, but Dutch ovens always looked intimidating to me because I thought they were just for camping. Then we visited our friends and I was surprised to see them simply using it in their backyard, placed on cement patio stones. I am excited to explore this whole new area of cooking, plus it's a great item to have in your food storage for when the electricity goes out! Check out Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking for great info and tons of recipes on dutch oven cooking. Robb and Maria's favorites are the Peach-Orange Dump Cobbler and the Chocolate Lovers Delight. It's great because the website said these recipes can also be cooked in your oven at 350. Peach cobbler in rainy weather, yea!

Peach-Orange Dump Cobbler
2 (30 oz.) cans sliced peaches; drained (oooh, fresh peaches from the farmers market would be great too!)
1 yellow cake mix; dry
1 can Orange soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
4 Tbs. butter; cut into pieces
3/4 cup brown sugar
vanilla ice cream

Line a 12" Dutch oven with heavy duty foil. To Dutch oven add peaches and cinnamon. Stir to mix. Sprinkle brown sugar over fruit. Dump cake mix in a large pile over center of fruit. Make a well in the center of the cake mix. Pour orange soda into the well then stir cake mix in to moisten. Spread mixture evenly over fruit. Dot top with butter. Place lid on Dutch oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16 briquettes top for 45-60 minutes.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Serves: 8-10

1 comment:

Mary Underwood said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you! Sorry for the belated wishes. I was thinking of you! I'm ashamed to admit we got a dutch oven for our wedding 6.5 years ago and haven't used it once. Though I'm a little unclear about how to cook over briquettes. I'll have to call you about that. I love your cooking quotes, btw. I want to put them on a plaque in my kitchen.